On the lookout for winter street journey concepts in Europe? Undecided the place you possibly can head to get pleasure from protected driving, and unbelievable surroundings? We’ve acquired you coated!
Don’t neglect to obtain your FREE Europe street journey guidelines under.
*We work onerous to make this one of the best motorhome weblog and street journey web site attainable, stuffed with useful content material for you. The web site is supported by our readers, so for those who purchase via hyperlinks on this website we could earn a commission- at no further value to you. All opinions stay our personal.
When you discover this publish helpful, you can even deal with us to a espresso on the backside of this page- we promise to get pleasure from it whereas creating extra helpful content material like this- we would even bask in a biscuit (or two!)
Finest Winter Highway Journeys in Europe
Winter street journeys in Europe will be tough. Relying on the place you reside (or the place you’re beginning the street journey from, getting there will be robust! Many mountain passes are closed and lots of huge vacationer cities shut for the winter
Nevertheless, don’t despair. There are nonetheless some unbelievable locations to go to throughout Europe throughout winter. When you’re moving into November and December, you can get pleasure from a number of the finest and largest Christmas Markets in Europe.
When you’re going from January- March you can select between discovering winter sunshine, or going to get pleasure from some cities and cities in Europe that are EVEN BETTER in winter!
Intrigued? Learn on…
Ideas for planning your Europe Winter Highway Journey
Earlier than you set off, whether or not you’re travelling by automobile, motorhome, campervan or motorcycle (!), there are some issues it’s worthwhile to do to organize your car.
Firstly, ensure you know all of the package you MUST have in your car whereas touring Europe. Get your free guidelines right here:
Wish to head to Europe along with your motorhome?
Seize your FREE (printable) guidelines and uncover 25 stuff you NEED to take with you once you journey in Europe. Make your life simpler immediately.
Be sure you have winter tyres fitted. These are obligatory in lots of nations in Europe between October- March, and in nations like France in mountainous areas. You may additionally want to hold snow chains.
Plan your itinerary fastidiously. Days are shorter in winter, that means you possibly can’t journey as far. Roads will also be extra treacherous at night time when it will get colder, so attempt to keep away from driving at night time the place attainable.
You’ll additionally need to enable further time between stops, whether or not you’re touring Europe in a motorhome and utilizing campsites/ aires, or staying in resorts/ B& Bs. If the climate is unhealthy, you’ll drive extra slowly, so it would take longer to get between locations. Including an additional 20-30% is an efficient rule of thumb.
Begin your day later. Chilly temperatures in a single day can go away many roads slippery within the morning, even when they’ve been gritted. Wait till mid-morning to start out your travels so the roads have had an opportunity to heat up somewhat.
Epic locations to go to on a winter street journey in Europe for snowy scenes
Listed below are a few of our favorite European winter street journey itinerary concepts:
- Begin level/ metropolis: Bergen
- Endpoint/ metropolis: Flåm
- Route: Varied
Western Norway’s fjords are an incredible winter street journey for snow-savvy drivers. Within the winter, few folks go to the fjords, making it a implausible time to view the sights AND take unbelievable photographs.
Bergen, Norway’s second-largest metropolis, is a superb winter base. There’s lots occurring and, for those who go to in December, you possibly can see Pepperkakebyen, the world’s largest gingerbread hamlet!
Some epic winter street journey concepts from Bergen
- One of many prettiest routes is to Flåm. You would journey the Flåm railway and go to Aurlandsfjord.
- You would additionally drive to Voss, among the best locations for journey sports activities, Gudvangen (dwelling of Viking Valley), and the Stegastein viewpoint.
- Don’t miss the numerous waterfalls across the area- they’re breathtaking.
Don’t neglect, whether or not you’re driving a automobile or motorhoming in Norway, you will need to have winter tyres, and drive along with your headlights on all day.
Keep in mind the times are a lot shorter so that you received’t have the ability to journey up to now.
Romantic Highway, Germany
- Begin level/ metropolis: Würzburg
- Endpoint/ metropolis: Füssen
- Route: Autobahn B3
- Distance (miles and km): 460km / 290miles
- Time to drive: 3-10 days
The Romantic Highway is without doubt one of the most well-known street journeys in Germany. Your complete route is round 290 miles (460km) via Bavaria in South Germany, beginning in Würzburg (within the north) and ending in Füssen (within the south, close to the Austrian Border and the fairytale fort of Neuschwanstein!)
Though this route is phenomenal at any time of the yr, driving it in winter is further particular. The surroundings is spectacular and the cities look much more like they’ve simply sprung from a fairytale.
Winter Highway Journey itinerary concept
- Begin your winter street journey within the conventional wine metropolis of Würzburg.
- Don’t miss the spectacular Christmas city of Rothenburg ob der Tauber, or the historic cities of Feuchtwangen, Nördlingen or Augsburg (apparently the the oldest metropolis in Germany!)
- Many many castles and historic sights, together with Harburg and Hohenschwangau. When you’re motorhoming in Germany, there are close by aires that are implausible.
- Detour into the Black Forest and go to Triberg, dwelling of the world’s largest (and smallest!) cuckoo clocks!)
- The ultimate cease is Füssen, stuffed with superbly painted buildings and the closest city to the long-lasting Neuschwanstein Fort.
Southern Ring Highway, Iceland
- Begin level/ metropolis: Reykjavik
- Endpoint/ metropolis: Reykjavik
- Route: Varies relying on the climate
One of the breathtaking winter street journeys in Europe is in Iceland.
When you go to between November to March, you’ll discover frozen waterfalls, unbelievable snow-covered vistas and, for those who’re fortunate, it’s among the best locations in Europe to see the elusive Northern Lights.
My husband and I had been fortunate sufficient to go to Iceland in winter and by far one of the best bit was having a car appropriate for driving round. In case you are hiring a car, be certain that it has winter tyres fitted and carry a ‘just-in-case’ pack of blankets, sizzling drinks and meals.
When you’re taking your personal car, ensure you have correct winter tyres fitted. Additionally, though the Ring Highway doesn’t technically shut throughout winter, the northern half can change into treacherous in unhealthy climate, so hold a detailed eye on the forecast and chances are you’ll want to persist with the southern half.
When you’re planning to camp, remember that many campsites shut throughout winter, so it may be tough to seek out locations with electrical energy and contemporary water.
Highlights and itinerary concepts for an Iceland winter street journey
- Spend a day exploring Reykjavik- there’s plenty of historical past to see right here.
- Plan to spend a day or two round Vik. Right here, you’ll discover the Black Sand Seashore at Reynisfjara, the deserted DC3 airplane wreck, and Yoda cave.
- When you proceed in direction of Hofn, you’ll discover the Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon and Diamond Seashore, Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon, and Vatnajökull Nationwide Park.
- Don’t miss any of the unbelievable waterfalls alongside the route. Relying on the climate and when in winter you go, many will probably be frozen, which makes for spectacular photographs!
Switzerland winter street journey concepts
- Begin level/ metropolis: Basel
- Endpoint/ metropolis: Lugano
- Route: #2
- Distance: 270km
For an unforgettable winter street journey with breathtaking surroundings, plan a drive between the gorgeous cities of Basel and Lugano in Switzerland.
When you’re assured driving in snow and wintery situations, you possibly can take backroads to get pleasure from one of the best of the views and go to some native villages. You’ll additionally go over some spectacular mountains, so make certain your tyres are good and cease continuously to let your brakes cool.
NOTE: Be sure you have winter tyres fitted and pack an emergency package with meals and heat garments. When you’re motorhoming in Switzerland, ensure you have your tank heaters on too.
Winter street journey itinerary concept
- Begin in Basel, a metropolis which is value exploring for a day or two if in case you have time.
- Then head out in direction of Lucerne. Nearly each nook of this street makes you go ‘wow’ and there are many viewpoints to cease at and seize the views.
- When you’re early sufficient, you may have the ability to drive the spectacular Furka Go- among the best street journeys in Switzerland.
- You may also need to detour West to Valais and the Matterhorn- the views are unbelievable.
- Head south to Lugano. There could not all the time be snow right here, but it surely all the time has a splendidly heat ambiance and lots to get pleasure from.
Edinburgh to Inverness, Scotland
- Begin level/ metropolis: Edinburgh
- Endpoint/ metropolis: Inverness
- Route: Edinburgh- A84- A82 to Glencoe, Fort William and Invernesss
- Distance (miles and km): 253.88 km
- Finest time to go to: New Yr/ Hogmanay
Among the best winter street journeys within the UK is a round route from Edinburgh as much as Inverness, through Glencoe and Loch Ness.
Positively spend just a few days exploring Edinburgh both earlier than or after your winter street trip- this metropolis is fabulous and there’s a lot to see. Don’t miss Edinburgh Fort, the Royal Mile or climbing Arthur’s Seat for a spectacular perspective of town.
When you’re prepared, set out in your street journey, driving via Loch Lomond and as much as Glencoe. The views listed below are SPECTACULAR- undoubtedly probably the most scenic street journeys in Scotland. The route begins because the A84 however flip onto the A82 in direction of Fort William.
After travelling for 3 to 4 hours, you’ll arrive at Fort William and have the ability to see Ben Nevis, Britain’s tallest peak, within the distance.
Take the A-82 alongside Loch Ness to Inverness. Permit round three hours for this section- there are many locations to cease for photographs or making an attempt to identify Nessie.
From Inverness, you possibly can both return to Edinburgh through the A9, or keep on north and deal with the well-known North Coast 500!
Wild Atlantic Manner
- Begin level/ metropolis: Malin Head, Donegal
- Endpoint/ metropolis: Mizen Head, County Cork
- Route: Wild Atlantic Manner
- Distance (miles and km): 1600 miles (2600 km)
- Finest time of yr to drive or particular pageant/ occasion: March- St Patrick’s Day
The Wild Atlantic Manner is without doubt one of the longest coastal driving roads within the world- and probably the most well-known! The shoreline is wild, rugged and breathtakingly stunning.
It runs from Malin Head in County Donegal to Mizen Head in County Cork. Normally, the route is packed by anybody eager to go roadtripping or campervanning in Eire, however in winter, it’s MUCH quieter.
How lengthy does it take to drive the Wild Atlantic Manner?
One of the best a part of this route is which you can select to do as a lot or as little as you would like. If you wish to do all the route with out speeding, I like to recommend 1-2 weeks minimal. Don’t neglect, there’s lots to see off the principle route which you received’t need to miss and you may mix it with a number of of Eire’s different well-known street journey routes.
Highlights of a Wild Atlantic Manner street journey
Among the highlights of a Wild Atlantic Manner street journey embrace:
- Mizen Head (one of many areas the place the newest Star Wars film was shot)
- the windswept isle of Skellig Michael,
- Achill Island (Eire’s largest island and an epic kitesurfing vacation spot)
- Galway Metropolis
- Cliffs of Moher
- Bantry Bay
- Malin Head
After all, there are PLENTY of different locations you possibly can go to in Europe throughout winter. Locations like Spain and Portugal are all the time widespread, as are additional away locations like Croatia and Greece. However I hope these helped provide you with somewhat inspiration to get the ball rolling.
Different posts you may discover helpful: