Posted: 2/24/2023 | February twenty fourth, 2023
Positioned on a excessive Andean plateau at 2,640 meters (8,660 ft) above sea degree, Bogotá is the third-highest capital metropolis on this planet (after Quito and La Paz). Most vacationers normally bypass it in favor of the favored digital nomad sizzling spot of Medellín or the coastal metropolis of Cartegena.
Most vacationers assume that Bogotá is barely value spending a couple of days in. I believe that’s a disgrace and does this vibrant vacation spot a disservice. I beloved my time in Bogotá and ended up extending my go to right here! This metropolis simply feels extra Colombian than a number of the different larger cities which have developed a bigger expat and vacationer inhabitants.
There’s a lot to do and see right here from museums, parks, strolling excursions, superb road artwork, nice nightlife, and an unbelievable gastronomic scene.
With that in thoughts, you’ll need to select the place to remain in Bogotá fastidiously. It’s an enormous metropolis, divided into completely different estratos, or zones, and there are a couple of “no-go” areas that you just’ll need to keep away from as properly. Bogota has plenty of petty crime so don’t enterprise too far off the overwhelmed path.
Right here is my breakdown of the most effective neighborhoods in Bogota for guests (in addition to recommended lodging in every).
However, first, listed here are some frequent questions I get requested about staying in Bogotá:
What’s the most effective neighborhood for sightseeing?
Should you simply need to see the primary vacationer websites, I like to recommend staying in La Candelaria, so that you’re inside strolling distance of every part.
What’s the most effective neighborhood for vacationers on a finances?
La Candelaria can also be the most effective neighborhood for vacationers on a finances. It’s one of many least expensive areas of city, and with many hostels situated right here, it’s backpacker central. Since so lots of the important vacationer sights are close by, you’ll save on transportation too.
What’s the most effective neighborhood for digital nomads?
Chapinero is the trendiest district and, whereas it’s a bit costlier than La Candeleria, it’s nice for digital nomads who desire a cool place to work from.
What’s the most effective neighborhood for nightlife?
In case you are staying for various nights and are extra excited by having fun with Bogotá’s vibrant nightlife, then I like to recommend Zona Rosa or Chapinero.
What are the most secure areas of Bogotá?
Prosperous Zona Rosa and Chapinero are each thought-about among the many most secure areas of city. La Candeleria is fairly secure in the course of the day however you’ll need to stick with the primary streets at evening.
What’s the most effective neighborhood general?
So long as you don’t thoughts touring a bit to a number of the important sights, Chapinero is the most effective space to remain in, as a result of its cool vibe, nice eating places, implausible nightlife, and ample lodging choices.
So, with these questions answered, right here’s a breakdown of every neighborhood, with recommended lodging for every, so you already know precisely the place to remain in Bogotá:
Greatest for Funds Vacationers and Sightseeing: La Candelaria
La Candelaria is town’s historic middle, and the entire important issues to do in Bogotá are inside strolling distance from right here, together with the Gothic Nationwide Shrine of Our Woman of Carmen, the Botero Museum, and the Gold Museum. It’s additionally the primary space for backpackers, with many hostels situated right here. Should you’re on a finances and/or need to spend so much of your time seeing the sights, keep in La Candelaria.
Simply remember that though it’s fairly secure in the course of the day, you must train warning at evening. Be sure to observe my security ideas for touring in Colombia in the event you’re staying right here.
Greatest locations to remain in La Candelaria:
- BUDGET: The Cranky Croc – This can be a backpacker establishment. Positioned in a reworked colonial home, this hostel has every part you possibly can want, with cozy pod bunk beds and personal rooms, a completely outfitted visitor kitchen, nice showers, a bar/restaurant on-site, and loads of widespread area (together with out of doors patios).
- MID-RANGE: Magdalena Guest House – This inexpensive visitor home is primary but fashionable and comfy, with just a little backyard space and interior courtyard, a resident cat, and wonderful hosts. The showers are all the time sizzling (not all the time the case on this neighborhood!), the beds are snug, and there’s additionally a kitchen that company can use.
- LUXURY: Hotel Muisca – Named after the indigenous inhabitants of the realm, it is a historic lodge situated in a lovely 200-year-old colonial dwelling. You’ll discover the anticipated facilities, like flatscreen TVs and Wi-Fi, in addition to luxurious facilities akin to a sauna, spa, complimentary breakfast, and a rooftop eating space.
Greatest for Digital Nomads and Foodies: Chapinero
Chapinero is a stylish and bohemian neighborhood (there’s a park right here referred to as Hippie Park). It’s identified for its road artwork, espresso outlets, native markets, and thriving LGBTQ+ neighborhood (Theatron, the biggest LGBTQ+ nightclub in South America is situated right here). Moreover, Chapinero is heaven for foodies, and residential to Zona G (for connoisseur), a focus of the most effective fine-dining eating places on the town. It’s additionally one of many most secure districts within the metropolis.
Greatest locations to remain in Chapinero:
- BUDGET: Selina Chapinero – Selina is a Latin American chain of hostels geared towards digital nomads. Like its different areas, this one is a big, design-forward hostel with a coworking area, a bar/restaurant, loads of widespread areas, a communal kitchen, and arranged social actions.
- MID-RANGE: HAB Hotel Bogotá – Located on a quiet residential road, this lodge affords luxurious facilities at mid-range costs, with a classy inside, 24/7 health middle, backyard, out of doors terrace, and its personal farm-to-table restaurant/bar. The modern, fashionable rooms have their very own desks, high-quality mattresses, and blackout curtains so you will get a great evening’s sleep.
- LUXURY: Casa Legado – There are a selection of luxurious motels within the neighborhood, however the five-star Casa Legado is phenomenal, superbly designed in a mid-Twentieth century type. Every of its 13 rooms is exclusive; some have balconies, and others backyard views. There’s complimentary breakfast, bikes for company’ use, a tranquil interior courtyard, and a tour desk that can assist you arrange actions.
Greatest for Nightlife, Luxurious, and Buying: Zona Rosa
Whereas there’s nice nightlife to be present in Chapinero, in the event you actually need to be in the course of all of it, keep in Zona Rosa. Also referred to as Zona T for its form, the realm is dwelling to numerous stylish nightclubs, bars, and eating places, in addition to high-end buying malls and designer shops. It’s a bit costlier to remain right here, as that is essentially the most trendy space of city. Native bogotanos come right here from everywhere in the metropolis to celebration and store, and it’s pedestrian-friendly each by day and by evening.
Greatest locations to remain in Zona Rosa:
- BUDGET: Urbana Hostel – This hostel is on the extra primary facet, however it’s clear and useful, and since lodging is pricey on this space, that is positively the most effective place to remain in the event you’re on a finances. There’s a small shared visitor kitchen and a rooftop terrace, and all bunks have privateness curtains and retailers. There are additionally a wide range of personal rooms accessible too.
- MID-RANGE: Hotel NH Bogotá Boheme Royal – You possibly can’t get any higher than this location, within the coronary heart of Zona Rosa. With soundproofing and air-conditioning in all of the rooms, you’ll nonetheless be capable of sleep properly if you come again at evening. There’s additionally a health middle, a buffet breakfast, and a really attentive employees.
- LUXURY: AC Hotel by Marriott Bogota Zona T – Marriott properties want no introduction by way of luxurious. The brand new lodge in Zona Rosa has a health middle (overlooking town), an expansive complimentary buffet breakfast, a bar/lounge, and free bikes for visitor use. The rooms are spacious and air-conditioned, with flat-screen TVs and quick Wi-Fi. It’s a well-liked place to remain for enterprise vacationers.
Greatest for Historical past, Tradition, and Households: Teusaquillo
Positioned simply north of La Candelaria, Teusaquillo is a superb place to remain if you wish to be near all the primary sights however don’t need to keep inside La Candelaria. It’s an enormous district that’s largely residential, with tree-lined streets and Twentieth-century mansions and structure from when the neighborhood grew together with town’s higher class.
The world is thought for its inexperienced areas, together with Bogotá’s largest park, Simón Bolívar, in addition to town’s botanic gardens, and the Parque de los Novios, domestically well-known for its giant children’ play space. There’s additionally a large monetary middle in Teusaquillo, so there are various motels right here geared towards the business-traveler crowd.
Greatest locations to remain in Teusaquillo:
- BUDGET: Hostel Bandido – A ravishing crimson brick constructing is dwelling to this glorious lodging, which feels virtually like a lodge however at hostel costs. There are each personal rooms and dorm rooms with fashionable and comfortable pod-style beds, and the Wi-Fi is tremendous quick. There’s additionally a completely outfitted kitchen, a shared lounge, a bar, and an outside backyard space.
- MID-RANGE: Hotel 5 Elementos Apartasuites – Combining the most effective facilities of staying in a lodge with renting an condominium, all items at Lodge 5 are full flats with their very own kitchens (along with the same old mid-range lodge facilities). There’s complimentary breakfast each morning within the shared lounge, in addition to a health and enterprise middle.
- LUXURY: Grand Hyatt Bogotá – Should you’re trying to actually splurge (or possibly have some Hyatt factors to spend), you’ll be able to’t get any extra luxurious than this in Bogotá! The Grand Hyatt is dwelling to the biggest city spa in Latin America, that includes a shocking indoor pool, a sauna, a sizzling tub, therapy rooms, and a health middle full with private trainers. The rooms and suites are spacious, with floor-to-ceiling home windows overlooking both the Andes or town itself.
Deciding the place to remain in Bogotá is a vital choice for any traveler visiting the Colombian capital. This big, sprawling metropolis can take a while to get round, and there are some actual security issues right here as properly. Select an space based mostly on what you need to spend most of your time doing, after which hop round by way of the TransMilenio (the bus speedy transit system that has its personal devoted lanes and is commonly quicker than touring by taxi or Uber).
And, in the event you can, plan extra time right here than you may in any other case assume you want. Bogotá has a lot to supply. I can’t converse extremely sufficient of it.
Ebook Your Journey to Colombia: Logistical Ideas and Methods
Ebook Your Flight
Use Skyscanner to discover a low cost flight. They’re my favourite search engine as a result of they search web sites and airways across the globe so that you all the time know no stone is left unturned.
Ebook Your Lodging
You possibly can guide your hostel with Hostelworld as they’ve the most important stock and greatest offers. If you wish to keep someplace apart from a hostel, use Booking.com as they constantly return the most cost effective charges for guesthouses and low cost motels.
Don’t Overlook Journey Insurance coverage
Journey insurance coverage will defend you in opposition to sickness, damage, theft, and cancellations. It’s complete safety in case something goes mistaken. I by no means go on a visit with out it as I’ve had to make use of it many instances prior to now. My favourite corporations that provide the most effective service and worth are:
Searching for the Greatest Corporations to Save Cash With?
Try my useful resource web page for the most effective corporations to make use of if you journey. I checklist all those I exploit to save cash after I’m on the street. They may prevent cash if you journey too.
Need Extra Info on Colombia?
Remember to go to our strong vacation spot information on Colombia for much more planning ideas!