While you consider Aspen, Colorado, chances are you’ll consider ritzy motels and decadent events, or world-class snowboarding. However it’s additionally surrounded by a few of North America’s most lovely wilderness and is a pure basecamp for some unbelievable mountain climbing, biking, fishing, snowboarding, and even paragliding—absolutely anything you are able to do outdoor. Whereas Aspen is a 4-season vacation spot, there’s tons of issues to do in Aspen in summer season, and beneath we share our favorites!
Be taught the very best issues to do in Aspen in summer season together with mountain climbing, biking, tenting & lodging, and restaurant suggestions.
Essential Reminder: Because it goes in all the locations we share, please observe good path etiquette and keep in mind to Go away No Hint. This implies packing out your whole rubbish (together with rest room paper), being respectful to others on busy trails, and following the established guidelines.
Aspen Summer season Mountain climbing
Aspen is nestled within the Roaring Fork Valley which presents a system of trails for each hiker from newbie to skilled. With fields of wildflowers, mountain vistas, and dense forests, mountain climbing is likely one of the finest issues to do in Aspen in the summertime. Listed here are a few of our favourite trails:
West Maroon Go
This hike begins beneath the Maroon Bells at Maroon Lake, some of the photographed spots within the nation, and the primary few miles are about as busy as you’d count on. However when you cross the picnicking households at Crater Lake, the path turns into infinitely much less crowded. It’s six and a half miles one-way to West Maroon Go, however you’ll be able to flip round everytime you like (or you’ll be able to preserve going, descend the opposite aspect of the cross, and stroll all the best way to Crested Butte!). The views are unbeatable the entire manner!
You’ll need to drive a couple of miles down valley to get to the trailhead, however Triangle Peak is a lesser-known hike that reaps large rewards in a brief distance. You hike up a jeep street for 2 and a half miles to the summit of Triangle Peak, and from there you’ve a view of your complete Roaring Fork Valley, the entire Elk Mountain Vary, and nearly all of Aspen-Snowmass’s 4 ski areas.
You may comply with the Ute Path all the best way to the highest of Aspen Mountain. Whereas it’s steep at first, it’s a lot much less busy than the favored street up the face of the ski hill. Should you’re completely exhausted if you get to the highest, you’ll be able to take the gondola again all the way down to city.
Aspen Summer season Biking
Aspen has biking choices for everyone. From lung-busting street rides to rollercoaster single observe, and even household cruiser rides – it’s all there and among the best issues to do in Aspen in the summertime!
A few Aspen street bike classics are Independence Go, a lung-busting climb to 12,065 ft above sea stage, and Maroon Creek Highway, a relatively flat (however in actuality, regular uphill) journey to the long-lasting Maroon Bells.
Should you’ve obtained youngsters, or don’t fancy driving with site visitors, cruise down the valley on the Rio Grande Path, a former railroad observe turned multi-use pathway that stretches 40-plus miles all the best way to Glenwood Springs alongside the Roaring Fork River. A mid-morning journey to Woody Creek Tavern for lunch is hard to beat; it’s about 10 miles from Aspen, simply lengthy sufficient to earn that burger and brew.
Head up the face of Aspen Mountain on the forest service street and luxuriate in single-track on the best way down, or take one of many trails throughout city, above the previous Smuggler Mine. Really feel like getting out of city a bit extra? Close by Snowmass Mountain has extra singletrack, downhill, and enduro driving than your legs may ever deal with. For a dynamite single-track shuttle, take the free bus from Aspen to Snowmass Village, then mix the Rim Path, simply west of Snowmass Village with the model new single observe of Sky Mountain Park, reducing again to Aspen on the hillsides above Aspen airport.
Aspen Summer season Fishing
There could also be no higher place on earth for fly fishing. The Roaring Fork River, a gold-medal fishing river, flows proper by way of city. Fifteen minutes down the valley, it’s joined by the Fryingpan River, one other gold-medal river. Fifteen minutes previous there, the Crystal River joins the get together—one other world-class fly fishing river. You may rent a information to take you to their favourite secret spots, or you’ll be able to simply seize your rod and head on the market—it’s arduous to go improper on this space!
Simply ensure you’re not venturing onto non-public property and choose up a Colorado fishing license! You may snag one online, from Metropolis Market within the heart of city, or within the fly retailers in Aspen, Basalt, or Carbondale.
Finest Aspen Eating places
Aspen is a foodie city with tons of gourmand choices. Should you’re searching for a extra informal spot to seize a go-to meal or a chunk after a protracted day on the paths, listed below are a few of our suggestions:
- Zane’s Tavern: A sports activities bar that’s well-liked with locals, particularly when the Denver Broncos are taking part in. The meals is typical pub grub, but it surely’s strong and cheap. And you may’t go improper with something fried, proper?
- Massive Wrap: This can be a cash-only informal joint that serves tacos, wraps, sandwiches, and extra.
- Jour de Fete: the French title may sound fancy, however it is a no-frills deli with nice sandwiches and salads.
- Bangkok Glad Bowl: Yummy Thai meals that you could eat in or take out.
- Woody Creek Tavern: That is the famed hangout spot of the late Hunter S. Thompson. A few 20-minute stroll out of city (or 10 minutes by bike), they serve consolation bar meals and have an eclectic ambiance.
Different Issues To Do In Aspen in Summer season
Have extra time to fill throughout your journey? Listed here are a few of our different favourite summer season actions in Aspen:
- Hike or take the gondola up Aspen Mountain for a free sport of frisbee golf. There’s a disc golf course proper on the prime of the ski space. Discs can be found at 4 Mountain Sports activities to lease or be happy to convey your individual. In case you are in Snowmass, there’s a course on the mountain there as effectively.
- Tube or paddleboard by way of Northstar Nature Protect. The present is mild, the water is shallow (and chilly!), and there’s no higher option to spend a summer season afternoon.
- Go for the coldest swim of your life at The Grottos. These snowmelt-fed swimming pools and waterfalls east of city appear like a scene from an enchanted fairy story, however the water temperature feels extra like a wintry nightmare. Should you resolve to leap in, be ready for the icy water to take your breath away—actually.
- Catch some music: The Aspen Music Festival takes place each summer season, all summer season, and college students will be discovered giving free performances on avenue corners round city. Additionally, try the reside music calendar on the Stomach Up.
Aspen Tenting & Lodging Choices
Aspen is a well-liked summer season vacation spot – you’ll want to e book your tenting or lodging prematurely! Listed here are a couple of suggestions for campgrounds and motels:
- Tenting is proscribed in and round Aspen; the closest campsite is Troublesome Campground eight miles exterior of city towards Independence Go. It’s also possible to camp close to the long-lasting Maroon Bells at Silver Queen Campground. Each of those refill shortly, so make reservations prematurely if potential. Take a look at The Dyrt app for extra Aspen tenting suggestions.
- Aspen price range motels: Mountain Chalet, Tyrolean Lodge, and Annabelle Inn all have nice areas with out the worth tag of their luxurious neighbors.
- If you wish to step it up slightly, the Limelight Lodge, Lodge Aspen, and The Gant are all nice locations to remain throughout the summer season in Aspen.
Have you ever ever visited Aspen? Are we lacking any of the very best issues to do in Aspen in summer season? Tell us within the feedback beneath!