Boulder Metropolis, Nevada is a captivating and idyllic neighborhood perched above Lake Mead and the dam that created the city. Established in 1931 to deal with the builders of Boulder Dam (later modified to Hoover Dam), Boulder Metropolis is just not removed from its neighbor identified for glittering neon lights and excessive stakes gaming. Whereas simply 30 miles from Las Vegas, Boulder Metropolis is a world away from town that by no means sleeps. There aren’t any shiny lights or playing allowed in Boulder Metropolis. As an alternative, it’s a peaceable place to walk the streets and go to classic retailers, vintage shops, peruse the general public artwork or its many parks. Boulder Metropolis is the gateway to many close by actions, from the Hoover Dam, water sports activities, lake excursions, ghost cities to mountaineering trails and extra.
Like most individuals coming from Phoenix, I sometimes simply bypass Boulder Metropolis en path to Sin Metropolis. Nevertheless, this time, I made a decision to spend three nights absorbing the historical past and close by actions.
Whereas there are a variety of locations to remain on the town, I opted for the historic Boulder Dam Hotel, which is positioned within the coronary heart of downtown, strolling distance to retailers, eating places, museums and extra. In-built 1933, the Boulder Dam Resort has preserved its appeal and basic fashion of the period. The foyer is a big and open house inviting company to congregate in a wide range of seating configurations. My accomplice and I loved the wingback chairs subsequent to the expansive hearth within the evenings with a cocktail in hand.
There are three lodging ranges to select from. We stayed in one of many suites which was 420sf and included a big toilet, king mattress, seating space and kitchenette. The usual rooms have a queen mattress at 210sf they usually have king rooms which can be 100sf bigger. Additionally they have an on-site restaurant for breakfast and lunch, and a basement bar that always has stay music. There may be additionally the Hoover Dam museum positioned on the primary ground which is actually value testing, and admission is free.
The tempo in Boulder Metropolis is way slower and extra quiet than Las Vegas, and the one ringing you’ll hear are from the church bells offering the time of day. The principle drag by city is Nevada Method, from which every thing stems. Inside historic downtown are fantastically preserved brick houses from the early 30s when the dam was being constructed.
BEST RESTAURANTS IN BOULDER CITY
We tried a number of eating places whereas on the town, however since we have been off exploring within the afternoons, we ended up having late breakfasts and early dinners, skipping lunch.
- Coffee Cup Cafe – That is most likely one of the vital well-known eating places on the town because of visits by Man Fieri of “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. They’re additionally well-known for his or her Bloody Marys and engaging down-home cookin’. The decor and structure are basic diner fashion with partitions adorned by water-skis and different memorabilia harking back to the realm.
- Southwest Diner – That is one other Boulder Metropolis establishment specializing in home-made meals like Grandma used to make. That is an reasonably priced place for breakfast or lunch. Lots of their menu objects, like fresh-made banana bread, pies and even their scorching sauce, can be found for take-home buy.
- The Restaurant at Boulder Dam Resort – Good venue, modest and informal eating at this historic lodge.
- Milo’s Cellar – In all probability generally known as one of many nicest locations on the town for dinner. Pretty environment with outside patio. Nice wine choice and menu objects that complement the vino expertise.
- Momo Sushi – A implausible hole-in-the-wall sushi restaurant run by a neighborhood Japanese household.
- The Dillinger – Affords gourmand burgers, scrumptious salads and craft beer.
- Cornish Pasty Co. – The Cornish Pasty originates from Cornwall England which is legendary for its pasties, a sandwich of types made with a thick crimped edge alongside one facet making them simple to eat. The venue is actually cool, however the meals and repair was fairly mediocre. I wish to give this place a second likelihood at some point as they’ve a number of different places in Arizona.
There are a few BBQ and Mexican eating places on the town that regarded good, however we didn’t get an opportunity to test them out on this journey. When you’ve got any suggestions, please depart them within the feedback beneath.
TOP THINGS TO DO NEAR BOULDER CITY
- Hoover Dam in fact is among the fundamental sights, this engineering marvel is to not be missed. In case you’ve by no means been, I extremely advocate spending a number of hours touring this unimaginable achievement. Take the tour that takes you down into the depths of the dam, see the large mills, peer out of the vents of the dam trying down the Colorado River and study concerning the historical past of constructing the dam that created the most important man-made lake within the States. Don’t miss strolling the Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge for an unparalleled view of the dam.
- El Dorado Canyon Ghost City in Nelson – Situated about half-hour south of Boulder Metropolis is a spot that encapsulates Nevada’s wild west roots. It is a privately owned ghost city out there to pursue by yourself, or you may take a tour, which features a have a look at the Techatticup Mine that when produced tens of millions in valuable metals.
- Hemmenway Valley Park – There are loads of great parks in Boulder Metropolis, however this one is especially fascinating. This park is simply 10 acres and consists of playground gear, gazebos, basketball courts, horseshoe pits and two lighted tennis courts with implausible views of Lake Mead. The park’s fundamental sights although is the Bighorn sheep that come down from the mountains to water and graze. The sheep are very used to people, you may sit on a park bench and watch them graze throughout you.
- Railroad Tunnel Path – It is a great scenic hike that takes you alongside the previous railroad tracks that served to assemble the Hoover Dam. You’ll discover views of Lake Mead alongside the best way as you cross by a number of tunnels that have been chiseled out of the rock. You may stroll all the best way to Hoover Dam and again, which is about 9 miles. The scenic half stops about midway if you run throughout a toilet, which additionally makes turn-around spot and is half the space.
- Lake Mead – It is a implausible leisure lake providing cruises, every kind of water sports activities, fishing and extra. The drive alongside Hwy 167 affords some spectacular views. In case you drive far sufficient, you may go to the fascinating ghost city of St. Thomas, which was underwater for many years earlier than the lake start to recede. A contact farther is Valley of Hearth, which is simply an hour away from Boulder Metropolis.
TOP THINGS TO DO IN HISTORIC DOWNTOWN
- Boulder Metropolis Artwork Guild Gallery – Situated within the historic Boulder Dam Resort, this artwork gallery options the works of native artists and is a must-visit for artwork fans.
- Boulder Theater – This classic movie show, inbuilt 1932, has been absolutely restored and now serves as a venue for movies, live shows, and different occasions.
- Nevada State Railroad Museum – Situated in a historic depot, this museum includes a assortment of restored locomotives, passenger automobiles, and different railroad gear.
- The Olive Department – This store affords a wide range of olive oils, vinegar, and different specialty meals objects, in addition to tastings and cooking courses.
- The Chocolate Nugget – This artisan chocolate store affords a wide range of handcrafted goodies and different sweets, in addition to chocolate-making courses.
Many will ask why Boulder Metropolis has no gaming…it’s as a result of town was based as a federal reservation for Nice Despair-era staff constructing the Hoover Dam, and because it was on authorities land on the time, playing, in addition to ingesting, was unlawful. It wasn’t till a decade after the federal authorities gave up possession of town within the 60s that liquor was even allowed. Native leaders have continued to withstand playing in Boulder Metropolis to maintain it a respite from the remainder of the state.
If you’re planning on visiting Las Vegas, do your self a favor and carve out a pair three days and spend it in Boulder Metropolis, it makes a beautiful residence base to discover the sights listed above, in addition to a reprieve from the hustle of Sin Metropolis.
When you’ve got any questions on visiting Boulder Metropolis, depart a remark beneath. When you’ve got any solutions, reminiscent of locations to see or eating places to go to, please share beneath. So till subsequent time, we’ll see ya on the highway…