Oakville is a good place to go to for a weekend getaway. There are many enjoyable issues to do in Oakville, which is positioned near Toronto, making it simple to get to. It’s additionally a brief drive from Burlington and Milton (all three cities are within the Halton Area).
With Black Historical past Month and the Style of Oakville competition occurring initially of the 12 months, we bought to expertise the entire greatest causes to go to Oakville. And so we determined to place them collectively for you. Each the Black Historical past Tour and the Black Historical past Exhibit on the Oakville Museum (talked about later on this put up) can be found all 12 months whereas the Taste of Oakville runs roughly from mid-February to mid-March.
Right here’s a information on the perfect sights and locations to go to in Oakville.
This text is now obtainable as a cell app. Go to GPSmyCity to obtain the app for GPS-assisted journey instructions to the sights featured on this article.
Issues To Do In Oakville (Day 1)
A Historical past of Oakville
- Oakville, Ontario’s historical past dates again to 1830 when Colonel William Okay. Chisholm based it.
- The city turned an extension of the Underground Railroad, which led escaped African slaves out of America and into Canadian cities. There have been additionally a number of slaves smuggled out of America and into Oakville by the well-known Captain Robert Wilson.
- Sure African American households, after escaping slavery, settled in Oakville and opened up companies. These folks opened up barbers, fruit farms, and different firms. And when the city was integrated in 1857, it was able to turn out to be the thriving industrial neighborhood recognized as we speak—rated as one of many prime 5 locations to reside in Canada.
Getting To Oakville From Toronto
Oakville is a 30-minute drive from Toronto, and the city is a brief distance from a number of airports. Listed here are the perfect methods to get to Oakville.
A street journey from Toronto to Oakville affords a fast and direct route, taking lower than an hour. That is the most cost effective solution to get to Oakville.
There’s a ±30-minute bus experience instantly from Renforth Dr in Toronto to Trafalgar Rd. @ Hwy. 407 Park & Journey in Oakville. This solely will get you to the bus cease, and you then’ll want to search out your solution to your lodging.
Trains from Toronto to Oakville depart a number of instances a day. Direct practice routes between the 2 take 22 minutes to get you to Oakville from Toronto. Prepare tickets are fairly inexpensive, starting from 20 CAD to 25 CAD.
What To Do in Oakville, Ontario: Weekend Itinerary
Right here’s a fundamental format of the proper weekend itinerary and all the perfect Oakville sights:
- Arrive within the afternoon – Afternoon hike in Bronte Creek Provincial Park, after which dinner at Chop Steakhouse & Bar.
- Day 1 – Bronte Village, then Kerr Village.
- Day 2 – Downtown Oakville.
Discover extra details about every cease on the itinerary beneath.
Bronte Creek Provincial Park
Begin your time in Oakville with a day hike. Decide any of the paths beneath and luxuriate in a cushty and beautiful stroll. These are all positioned within the Day Use space of the park.
- Maiden’s Blush Path – a 1-kilometre, wheelchair-accessible paved path by way of the forest.
- Trillium Path – additionally wheelchair accessible and stroller-friendly, this 1-kilometre path affords beautiful views of the valley ground and spring wildflowers in bloom.
- Ravine Path – a bit longer, this 2.7-kilometre path winds across the valley’s prime. You’ll stroll between Spruce Lane Farm and Lot A’s picnic space.
Chop Steakhouse & Bar
Chop Steakhouse’s menu is stacked with 100% premium Canadian beef steaks, in addition to contemporary seafood and different hearty meals. The drinks are different, with specialty coffees, every day featured cocktails, and loads of ciders and beers on supply. However the must-have right here is the proprietary beer, Massive Life Amber Ale, made by Creemore.
- View their Style of Oakville menu HERE
Day 1 – Oakville Sights: Uncover Bronte Village
Bronte Village started as a small fishing village in 1834, constructed on the spot the place the Twelve Mile Creek met Lake Ontario. The harbour was established in 1894, making it one of many oldest lakeside communities in Ontario.
This small village additionally served as an entry level for a lot of African People getting into Canada by way of the Underground Railroad system. A few of these people selected to construct their properties proper right here, on the shores of the lake.
Black Historical past Bike Tour
There are lots of areas and landmarks that stay from when the African People landed in Bronte Village. Among the best methods to see these Oakville factors of curiosity is to hop on a motorbike (in case you haven’t purchased your individual, rent one) and take this self-guided tour.
Bronte Heritage Waterfront Park
This waterfront park is well-liked with locals and guests alike. There’s area to take a stroll, chat and sip on a superb cup of Oakville espresso (Style of Columbia is tremendous). There’s a playground for the children and massive grassy patches for the canines.
Muskoka Chair Show
What started in 2017 as a enjoyable neighborhood venture has turn out to be fairly well-liked round city. Bronte BIA’s “At Residence in Bronte” initiative (Enterprise Enchancment Space) sees organizations and teams of locals come collectively and paint lounge chairs in particular themes.
When you stroll alongside the Lakeshore, you’ll discover these brightly-coloured chairs. Sit down for a second and soak within the views and ambiance that Bronte Village gives.
Bronte Village Purchasing
A couple of nice companies to take a look at when you’re right here:
- EcoFillosophy focuses on eco-friendly merchandise, reusables over disposables, and even has a refill program.
- Goldwyn & Sons – for an actual deal with and a few important grooming, Goldwyn & Sons does haircuts, beard trims, and different upscale therapies paired with a drink.
Bronte Village Specialty Meals
Take your tastebuds on a journey at any (or all) of those spots:
- Flavour Fox – a variety of flavours, in addition to sizzling drinks and even fro-yo for the canines.
- Style of Colombia – discover Honest Commerce espresso, items, savoury and candy meals, and even espresso cocktails right here.
La Parisienne Crêperie (Temporarly Closed)
La Parisienne Crêperie is a husband-and-wife-run Parisian-style cafe that provids candy & savoury French-style crêpes. The best way the within is adorned
La Parisienne Creperie is somewhat piece of France in Bronte Harbour. Owned by husband-and-wife crew Mikael and Courtney Colas, who took over their household enterprise and breathed new vitality into the area! The utterly renovated inside of the restaurant will immediately take you again to a cute cafe in Paris.
In the meantime, the scrumptious candy & savoury French-style crêpes are scrumptious and made with contemporary, native substances at any time when doable to assist the native farmers and winemakers.
This place is on its solution to not being a hidden gem!
- View their Style of Oakville menu HERE
This park is true on the shores of Lake Ontario and affords loads of grassy area, volleyball nets, and picnic tables. You possibly can even see the Toronto skyline on a transparent day as you look out over Lake Ontario.
In the present day, Kerr Village is a quaint little neighborhood comprising boutique outlets, hospitable eating places, and a powerful feeling of neighborhood. However again within the 1850s, the village was a haven for African People fleeing America who constructed their properties right here.
Self-Guided Black Historical past Tour
An insightful self-guided tour is accessible to anybody eager to discover the buildings and locations of curiosity surrounding Kerr Village’s Black Historical past significance.
Only a few issues to be aware of from the tour embody:
- Burnet Park – In 2019, a plaque commemorated the 40,000+ African American individuals who migrated to Canada by way of the Underground Railroad.
- The Adams Residence – initially owned by Jeremiah B Adams, was saved within the Adams household for 100+ years. It was demolished in 2016, however you’ll be able to go to the place it stood.
- Shipyard Park is quick turning into public and a everlasting dedication to Oakville’s Black historical past as its one of many locations alongside Lake Ontario the place American slaves first arrived.
- Turner Chapel Antiques and Appraisers – as soon as the Turner African Methodist Episcopal Church, inbuilt 1891 by former slaves.
- Kerr Avenue – the unique residence of the much-loved Carousel of Nations Multicultural Competition, Kerr St. is the center of this village and holds a lot of its historical past.
Tannery Park affords views of Lake Ontario, public washrooms, and loads of area for the entire household to calm down. On a transparent day, you may also see Toronto’s skyline from right here.
Some factors of curiosity contained in the park:
- Oakville Lighthouse – you’ll be able to’t go within the precise lighthouse, however the scene from the skin is well worth the cease.
- Waterfront Path – spanning by way of Tannery park, you’ll be able to stroll down this path and benefit from the contemporary air and lakeside views.
Kerr Village Purchasing
- Dove + Arrow – cease right here to buy locally-made merchandise as souvenirs and items.
- The Sort Matter Firm is one other improbable Oakville eco-friendly store for zero-waste buying.
Kerr Village Specialty Meals
A few of these spots are part of the Style of Oakville competition, and others are simply price a go to.
- Farmhouse Artisan Cheese is a good place to choose up connoisseur cheese for a picnic and some locally-made merchandise.
- The Sweetest Factor is a boutique bakery with scrumptious truffles, cookies, and occasional.
- Vereda Central Espresso Roasters is undoubtedly residence to the perfect espresso in Kerr Village.
- Café Combine Up – a Black-owned mother-and-son operation serving every thing from soup and salad to pasta and desserts.
- Group Restaurant – serving scrumptious meals with a 100% plant-based menu.
Jac’s Bistro is a stylish French/Italian restaurant on Kerr Avenue. It has been voted probably the greatest eating places within the GTA by Toronto Life Journal and Chatelaine Journal.
The menu options basic dishes from France and Italy, emphasizing contemporary substances and native merchandise. Jac’s Bistrot affords all kinds of wines by the glass or bottle in addition to specialty cocktails.
- View their Style of Oakville menu HERE
Independently owned and operated by an Oakville native, this cinema has 5 screens to point out new motion pictures and basic favourites. Their distinctive side, although, is the magnificent snack bar obtainable.
Day 2 – Head to Downtown Oakville
The guts of Downtown Oakville is a bustling neighbourhood crammed with attention-grabbing outlets, native companies, and upscale eateries. It is a spectacular a part of city with Six Mile Creek operating proper by way of Downtown Oakville and Lake Ontario exhibiting off its magnificence from the harbour.
That is the place the city’s founder, Colonel William Chisholm, settled in and constructed his residence. And later, it’s the place the African-American folks would come to develop their companies and new lives.
Sixteen Mile Creek
Begin the morning at 16 Mile Creek. The primary loop path runs for about 6 kilometres, crossing the creek on either side, and there are a number of facet trails. There are some sections the place there are hills, however the paths aren’t too busy. The paths have improbable lookout factors, the place you may see wild animals.
The Moccasin path is a part of Ontario‘s heritage trails, encouraging hikers to discover the panorama from a First Nation perspective. A collection of 13 Indigenous plaques inform Indigenous tales and supply a deeper understanding of Indigenous cultures.
When you go to throughout or after a contemporary fall of snow, it’s nothing wanting breathtaking.
The Easy Kitchen
The Easy Kitchen is ideal for breakfast, with scrumptious however wholesome choices to begin the day. It affords a variety of low-carb, paleo and gluten-free merchandise, together with wholesome entire meals for takeaways, granolas, drinks, and pure physique care merchandise.
View their Style of Oakville menu HERE
Browse a Few Retailers & Companies
- Burrows Clothiers – in case you’re searching for some upscale clothes for males to put on on your night plans, cease in at Burrows, they usually’ll kind you out.
- Village Cigar Firm & Barbershop – cigars, sophistication, and gent’s haircuts. We visited the sister firm in Burlington and might say you gained’t be sorry you stopped in.
- Maker’s Mojo – a market for uniquely handmade merchandise, good for present buying.
You have to have lunch at this Black-owned tea room and enjoyment of oven-baked goodness, award-winning gelato, and a few consolation meals.
Nyla’s Room embraces every buyer with its distinctive Jamaican type. It celebrates a few of the world’s best-loved consolation meals from Jamaica’s North Coast. Hospitality. We wouldn’t be stunned in case you discovered it troublesome to go away because the employees are unbelievable, enjoyable and warmly welcoming.
Nyla was impressed by her household’s historical past and her appreciation for cuisines, and the hospitality she skilled when travelling. Nyla‘s room is a Gelateria/Café meets Teahouse.
View their Style of Oakville menu HERE
Different Downtown Specialty Meals
- Tribeca Espresso Co. – seize a New York-inspired espresso when you ship out an e mail on this specialty espresso home.
- Wallflower Doughnuts – positioned inside Tribeca Espresso, these donuts go completely with a cup of espresso or tea.
- Black Forest Pastry Store – contemporary, mouthwatering pastries baked and offered every day.
- Sugar Suite – candy and savoury baked items, with gluten-free and vegan choices obtainable.
Oakville Towne Sq.
That is the center of Downtown, and also you’ll discover quite a few outlets and companies inside the sq..
This leafy sq. is residence to the Veteran’s Wall memorials that Oakville put as much as bear in mind and honour their conflict veterans.
Historic Properties and Church buildings on Alan and Navy Streets
Alan and Navy Streets are each residence to a number of historic properties and church buildings. A stroll down every of those streets lets you view these buildings and maybe be taught much more about this city’s historical past.
When Colonel William Chisholm based Oakville, he constructed Erchless Property in a first-rate spot – overlooking the harbour and Lake Ontario. This household house is now the Oakville Group Museum.
The museum shows Oakville’s wealthy and fascinating historical past with numerous displays. Two of those are centred round Oakville’s Black historical past. One exhibit exhibits the story of a freeborn African-American, Branson Johnson and his life in Oakville. And one other is a multi-media presentation of a former slave, Debra Brown’s journey within the Underground Railroad.
Lakeside Park is residence to Oakville’s first put up workplace and an 1829 residence (The Thomas Home). It’s additionally the place you’ll discover the TOWARF Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary. The park has public restrooms, benches, and countless grassy areas to take a seat and benefit from the area.
One other splendid open area in Oakville, Dingle Park, affords strolling paths, picnic benches, and spectacular views of Lake Ontario and the Toronto skyline. It’s small however typically additionally peaceable, so it’s a terrific place simply to assemble your ideas and respect the scenes round you.
This area is a not-for-profit modern artwork museum housed within the public library. It’s designed to carry communities collectively in unconventional and surprising methods.
One of many must-see displays is the Two Truths and a Lie exhibit. It’s a collaborative creative expression from a number of artists. This speaks to the “complicated interactions inside the pursuit of fact.”
The Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts
This centre places on a number of performances annually, a improbable place for the Oakville neighborhood to unite in dance, music, and storytelling. You will discover a schedule and e book tickets on their website.
CAMERON’S Brewing Firm
The right solution to finish your Oakville go to, get pleasure from an ice-cold beer from this award-winning, family-run brewery. There are occasional occasions right here, too, with reside music and catered meals to accompany what many individuals say is “the perfect beer in Canada.”
Glen Abbey Golf Membership
The world-famous Glen Abbey Golf Membership has been the location of 25 Canadian Open Championships –– most notably when Tiger Woods defeated Grant Waite in 2000. Whether or not you’re a professional golf fanatic or simply searching for a soothing brunch spot, the Glen Abbey Golf Membership is a good alternative. The membership can also be residence to a golf academy for these wishing to be taught the artwork of the game.
Additionally positioned at Glen Abbey Golf Membership is the Canadian Golf Corridor of Fame, the place guests can be taught concerning the wealthy golf historical past in Canada. Notable inductees embody Stephen Ames, Michael Weir, Sandra Submit, Stanley Thompson, and the legendary Jack Nicklaus.
The place to Keep in Oakville + Map
Together with the partaking tales that Oakville has to inform, the city’s hospitality is one more reason to go to. Right here’s the place we selected to remain in Oakville.
- Sandman Oakville – a snug and handy place to settle in for an evening or two in Oakville.
Oakville Issues To Do
With so many issues to do, Oakville is the proper place to spend a busy weekend, absorbing the historical past and tradition. This neighborhood values its heritage, and the city has been designed to honour those that helped it turn out to be its thriving place as we speak.